Thursday, January 2, 2014

Pixel Blues

I made a really short 2D platformer for a school assignment that I called Pixel Blues.
After exploring different artistic options I decided to go for a really minimalist design to
focus on the pixel idea.

I'm usually into cartoony or comic styles, I often go for an anime or marvel approach of my drawings.
But as programing was the purpose of the assignment, I went for a very simple and straight to the point design.

The coding part was quite a challenge for me as it was my first time writing what is for me complex lines of code. Now I'm glad to say that I finally got a hang of it and it is growing in me (shout out to my programing teacher David for making it so appealing).



I used the most known software in the Indie scene, Unity. As one of my favorite character on british television (Ronald Renholm - The IT Crowd) "well that's one software and a half! "

At first Unity seems scary, it's all grey and cold, it feels like staring into the deep but you get accustomed to it pretty quickly and Unity becomes one of your best pals.


There is no story to understand, no guidelines, nothing, you just play and have fun. I'm aware that 
there are some areas to improve so please bear with me. 

In the future I am planning on making new games. New games that I will develop with friends 
and I will take care of the design and the art so you won't have to see those disgusting bright green blocks no more. 


Enough said, it ends when the player reaches the door at the very top of the level. Prior to escape this pixelated nightmare, the player will have to destroy the boss, a huge pixel. Once the player reaches the door a message is displayed and after a click you end up back on the menu. 




Yes, the character's name is Pixelito... all right folks, time to rage quit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment